1) I first saw you both at a Sofar Sounds show at Motospirits in Brooklyn, how long have you been working with Sofar Sounds? Do you remember your first show with Sofar Sounds?
That was our fourth show with SoFar Sounds and actually our second time at Motospirits, such a cool spot. Our first show with SoFar was actually at a SoFar show in San Francisco! We just happened to be in California and had the opportunity to play a brewery there, and it was such a fun, happenstance opportunity.
2) So, you all are on tour right now. How has the tour been thus far?
We're actually not on tour yet! We had a few shows surrounding our latest single, "Guess Who's Back" that we released on Tuesday. Now we have a couple more shows in NYC (including a SoFar Show) before we go to Nashville in November and then taking a little break from performing to do some more writing. And then we're planning a spring tour centered around our debut EP, set for release in the Spring.
3) As of now, what was your most memorable show? Going along with this theme, what is your most embarrassing moment you've had preforming?
Our most memorable show by far was opening for Rainbow Kitten Surprise in Vancouver, Canada for a sold-out crowd of 1300 people... truly an unforgettable night. Hmm most embarrassing moment performing? I don't know if we've had an "embarrassing" moments per se but I think Lucas and I both agree, when we have a show that we feel wasn't our best, even if the audience thinks it was great, that's embarrassing for us. We want to give our audience - whether they're friends or strangers - our best, so if we feel like it wasn't our best, that's so much more impactful than like, tripping on stage haha
4) At the Sofar Sounds show, you all performed a few songs from your upcoming album (which was amazing by the way!), what has the process been like writing this album? Do you have a standard songwriting process?
Honestly, we just sit down together, usually with a guitar and Lucas starts strumming and I start singing along. Now that we're trying to write a lot more material regularly whether it be for an album, or to change up our set list a bit, what have you, we've started writing down inspiration ideas. Like if we're walking down the street and we hear someone say something that'd be a good title to a song, we write it down in our phones, and come back to it when we have a guitar. It's fun, it keeps everything fresh and interesting.
5) Who are some artist you both are listening to right now?
Well we were recently compared to the group, Wye Oak, so definitely them because they're awesome. Also we've really been digging Big Red Machine which is a collaboration between Justin Vernon (Bon Iver) and Aaron Dessner (The National). If you haven't checked it out yet, you have to, so cool!